Originally posted June 13, 2021
The 2022 commemoration of Juneteenth is especially poignant given what has happened in the past two years since the “racial reckoning” of 2020. It is the one year anniversary of when Juneteenth became an official federal holiday and now there are more people who are cognizant of the holiday, the history of the day, and the significance of why it became a holiday.
As you endeavor to appropriately observe Juneteenth, remember that it is both a celebration and a somber reminder of the experience of Black people in the United States and an example of justice delayed.
My hope is that as you reflect and plan on commemorating Juneteenth this year and going forward, you will commit to advancing social justice and equity for Black people within your personal and professional sphere of influence. I encourage you to connect the history of Juneteenth with the need for continued present day actions to right injustices that are still impacting the Black community today.
Please read, reflect, and share the resources included in the compendium below.
HISTORY OF JUNETEENTH
Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States.
From its Galveston, Texas origin in 1865, the observance of June 19th as the African American Emancipation Day has spread across the United States and beyond.
The Juneteenth flag is red, white, and blue, echoing the colors of the American flag, to symbolize that all former slaves and their descendants became American citizens under the law.
The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols though, here is what they mean.
- What Is Juneteenth?
- Juneteenth: United States holiday
- Juneteenth: Our Other Independence Day https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/juneteenth-our-other-independence-day-16340952/
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Juneteenth Events https://nmaahc.si.edu/events/juneteenth
- What Is Juneteenth?
- Juneteenth, explained
- So You Want to Learn About Juneteenth?
- Why celebrating Juneteenth is more important now than ever
- 10 Facts: Juneteenth
- Juneteenth Resources
- How companies and individuals can use Juneteenth to practice active allyship https://www.fastcompany.com/90517460/how-companies-and-individuals-can-use-juneteenth-to-practice-active-allyship
- “On Juneteenth” Hardcover – by Prof. Annette Gordon-Reed https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1631498835/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_fabc_0ZCY41SB6AQWXFN1AY3E“
- Juneteenth – A Novel” Hardcover – by Ralph Ellison
- “Juneteenth For Mazie” Hardcover – by Floyd Cooper
- “Juneteenth Texas: Essays in African-American Folklore” Hardcover – by Francis Edward Abernethy
- Four Meaningful Ways to Celebrate Juneteenth with Your Kids https://indyschild.com/celebrate-juneteenth-with-your-kids/
- Test your Juneteenth knowledge with this quiz https://www.ksat.com/features/2021/06/15/test-your-juneteenth-knowledge-with-this-quiz/
- Explore African American History
- Support Black Owned Businesses
RECENT JUNETEENTH-RELATED ARTICLES AND RESOURCES
- Juneteenth 2022: 6 Ways to Celebrate and Which States Made It a Paid Holiday https://www.cnet.com/culture/juneteenth-2022-6-ways-to-celebrate-and-which-states-made-it-a-paid-holiday/
- Elizabeth Colomba’s “157 Years of Juneteenth” https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cover-story/cover-story-2022-06-20
- What Is Juneteenth? Here’s Why We Honor the Federal Holiday https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/a32893726/what-is-juneteenth/
- What Is Juneteenth, and Why Do We Celebrate It? https://www.rd.com/article/what-is-juneteenth/
- Three ways to mark Juneteenth — without cultural appropriation https://www.hrdive.com/news/juneteenth-workplace-cultural-appropriation/624710/
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth at Work: 6 Ways https://www.adp.com/spark/articles/2022/06/how-to-celebrate-juneteenth-at-work-6-ways.aspx
- Four meaningful ways to observe Juneteenth this year https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/06/11/juneteenth-how-to-celebrate/
- Juneteenth: More Than a Holiday for Some Employers https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/behavioral-competencies/global-and-cultural-effectiveness/pages/juneteenth-more-than-a-holiday-for-some-employers.aspx
- What Is Juneteenth? Information for Kids and Families https://www.bgca.org/news-stories/2022/May/what-is-juneteenth-information-for-kids-and-families
- How to Celebrate and Honor Juneteenth and What It Represents as a Family https://www.verywellfamily.com/juneteenth-celebration-ideas-for-the-entire-family-5184090
ADDITIONAL 2022 JUNETEENTH RELATED NEWS ARTICLES
There is still much work to be done in order to make sure that Juneteenth does not lose its meaning and become “another day off”, another example of corporate performative allyship, or inclusive marketing attempts gone wrong. The references included below are provided here as some examples of what not to do.
- ‘We received feedback’: The commercialization of Juneteenth backfires for big brands https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-commercialization-of-juneteenth-backfires-171402916.html
- ‘It’s the Freedom for Me’: Brands Have Already Ruined Juneteenth
- Walmart apologizes, pulls ‘Juneteenth ice cream’ after online backlash https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/05/24/walmart-juneteenth-ice-cream/
- Children’s museum apologizes for selling Juneteenth watermelon salad https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/06/museum-juneteenth-watermelon-salad/
- Korean Connecticut Lawmaker’s Comments on Juneteenth Prompts Backlash From Black Lawmakers